Search This Blog

Thursday, December 21, 2017

WR_rs01_ A faithful correspondent to 18Q


 Nuria P_  Questionnaire about reading: Diamonds on books  

 1. Favourite childhood book?

I don’t remember a specific book that I was really interested in as a child, but when I grew up, although it can sound strange I loved when I read “La plaça del diamant” by Mercè Rodoreda.
I remember I was studying in the school and that fabulous story captivated me.  It was very well written and it showed you some gripping understanding from the war. Also it called some stories that my grandmother had explained to me from the war to mind.

2. What are you reading right now?
Now I read “The girl of the train”.  When some springs ago that book come out I guessed that it was about something fishy, which really captured my interest.  So I eagered to read quickly but it was difficult for me to find the properly moment.
Fortunately, I participate in an English Club in my village and this book was selected for this term.  So, I enjoyed reading that thrilled story that makes you stay alert till the end.

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
As I explained before, I am reading “The girl of the train” and also another book from my English course and for now I don’t have any book on request at the library.  We will see in the near future!

4. Bad book habit?
As much as I can I tried to stop my reading at the end of a chapter.   I hated giving up reading in the middle of a text.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
Well, in order to change the style, I remember the last books I looked for in the library were about cooking.   I always like trying to cook new dishes, so I consider myself as an adventurous cook.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
I don’t have an e-reader and I must admit that when those devices appeared in the market I thought they wouldn’t be worthwhile for me as I am mad at physical books.     As time goes by, I appreciate more e-readers and I would even like to have one.   
So, now my view has changed a bit, maybe I am more open-minded, and I can see the useful and practical side of having one.

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
If I can choose, of course I prefer to read only one book at a time, but if I have to read two at once I can bear out it.

8. Least favourite book you read this year (so far?)
I don’t have the sensation of having read some book I didn’t like it much.    So, I think this it has been a good year in terms of books readings.

9. Favourite book you’ve read this year?
I know it can be difficult to believe in, but it was Matilda.  Really I have never read it before although I had heard many great comment about this novel.  I had an enjoyable time when I was reading it and I truly recommended it to everyone.   It’s funny knowing stories about its lovely main character!

10. What is your reading comfort zone?
I hate science fiction.   A part from that I like novels, self-help books and I love biographical books.
But, as I explained before I am taking part in a book club and I tried to read all the material which is prepared.  I try to adapt as much as I can in order to spend a good time.
Reading is an enriching form of have a general culture in many senses.

11. Can you read on the bus?
If you are asking me if I can read when I am travelling I can tell you that I am.  I have read on planes and on trains and sometimes it is also rewarding, especially if you are traveling alone.

12. Favourite place to read?
I normally read sitting on the sofa or in any kind of chair.  I like to be in a quiet atmosphere and better if I am alone.


13. Do you ever dog-ear books?
It is a thing that it is no usual on me.  I try to keep them in good terms otherwise I would feel awful.

14. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Never I have done.  I try to be very responsible for the books even if they are mine.    I like to keep them in very good conditions, so I avoid writing on them.

15. What is your favourite language to read in?
Well, as a Catalan person who I am, I love reading in my language, but it doesn’t matter reading in Spanish as well.  Also I feel comfortable reading in English if it is a novel.  If it is not the case and I am reading a technical document, I feel tense of being lost with some fulfilling message.
I wish I could read in any other language.  Any language you can read is profitable and beneficial for you.

16. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
Well I remember when I was a teenager one summer I started to the “The Parfum” on my own, I mean it was just reading for pleasure as it was summer time.4
I found it boring and too quiet.  I remember long descriptions about the odour of the streets and the descriptions were dense as they separated you from the story.  
In that moment, I couldn’t finish it although I have always thought that I would like to re-start reading again. Maybe now my perception is a little bit different.

17. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
I remember I was surprised with “The curious incident of the dog in the nightime”.  I couldn’t imagine what was about before reading it.  When I started I feel very anxious to read it quickly because I was fascinated to discover which will be the end.   I recognise that the book deals with a topic that was attractive to me and also it helped me to understand better the behaviour of people who suffers that kind of disorder.

18. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
It was “Breakfast in Tiffany’s”.  I really was eager to read it, but I was disappointed as the main character was very strange.  I have never imagined a plot such as it really was.




No comments: