Search This Blog

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Fear of Reading- life turning books in BNW -Huxley adn Brave new schools


Books We Read For Class 

That Will Change Your Life


Sometimes reading books we're assigned to read, rather than those we would pick up on our own, can be a blessing rather than a curse. It can lead us to unexpected treasures, introduce us to unfamiliar and unexpected points of view, and challenge us in surprising ways.

source : Huffington posts


BRAVENEWWORLD1) OPINIONS.
When I was handed Aldous Huxley’s Brave New World in high school, the label of dystopian fiction certainly caught my attention, but what I read was far from what I expected. Instead of Orwell's Big Brother and Brutal tyranny there were Soma (a narcotic) and sex orgies and  societal indifference. Orwell taught me to fear the powers above me. Huxley taught me to fear myself. 
                                                  --Ryan Kristobak

A couple of opinions:


A while back I started started a thread on a website called: SCIENCE FICTION MADE ME A BETTER MAN.
You would not believe how many people responded with comments like yours. 
For me:  Childhoods End by Aurthur C Clarke  Brave New World by Aldus Huxley                                --- Tobias Duncan -USA
For me: Fritjof Capra, The Tao of Physics and of course, Aldous Huxley, Brave new world and  The island                   --- Eduardo Shenberg -TED translator  Sao Paulo


2)  What book single-handedly made you change your life?


when either 1984 or Brave New World come up, and I just can't help but strongly disagree. You barely have to read half of the first chapter of Brave New World (or even a few paragraphs in) before it is revealed that humans are genetically engineered and "grow up" with constant subliminal messages.In many ways the world described by Huxley is a lot more tyrannical than the one by Orwell.

3) Am I the only person that feels Brave New World is a largely pointless book?


At its heart this book, and all others are Stories.
Written by a person (like you).
Who wanted to say something to the world.
I think books have as much of a point as life does. 
There is no 'point', but if you can find a little bit 
Written by a person (like you).Who wanted to say something to the world.I think books have as much of a point as life does. There is no 'point', but if you can find a little bit of enjoyment in either one then you have won.
Post scriptum: 
    the future of books, and brave new schools. 

Escultura: Dislexia, Alicia Martín, 2002. 
Exposición Parangolé. Museo Patio Herreriano de Valladolid.
 (Foto de Manuel Mora, 2011).

ANNEX: Two other books:

1: Brave new schools




2) Comanegra publishing house: Neil Willett
Bread and tomato : the story of another 
godamned foreigner in Barcelona retracing Orwell's 
It's quite a chaotic book and, as Willett says, somewhat naive, 
but I liked it (that's why I googled his name and found the video). 
I recommend it.

Pa amb tomàquet : història d'un guiri rere les passes d'Orwell a Barcelona = Bread and tomato : the story of another godamned foreigner in Barcelona retracing Orwell's steps

No comments: