Search This Blog

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Matrix Verbs and the Complementation Patterns

Commonly Used Matrix Verbs and the Complementation Patterns They Co-occur With

This lengthy but not exhaustive appendix lists seventy-five English verbs that are commonly used in the main clause of our subordinate clause or tenseless com- plement sentences. The appendix gives the nine complementation patterns dis- cussed in this chapter 

 It should also be noted that given the complexity of English complementation, not all native speakers will agree on the grammaticality of all matrix plus complementation patterns pre- sented here.

1. The complement is a subordinate that-clause, with the clause’s verb in the subjunctive. 
(Example: I prefer that she sing lullabies.

2. The complement is a subordinate that-clause, with the clause’s verb in the indicative. 
(Example: I know that she sings lullabies
Footnote: In this example, the matrix verb ends in the characteristic 3.sg.pres tense /z/ morpheme.)

3. The complement is an infinitive. Pattern 3 is characterized by equi-deletion with retention of the infinitive marker to. 
(Example: I prefer to sing.)

4. The complement is an infinitive. Pattern 4 entails raising to object, and the infinitive marker (to) is deleted in the process. 
(Example: I made her sing.) 

5. The complement is an infinitive. Pattern 5 entails raising to object, and the infinitive marker to is retained. 
(Example: I prefer her to sing lullabies.) 

6. The complement is an infinitive. Pattern 6 entails raising to object, and the infinitive marker to is complemented by the discontinuous pre-posed for.
(Example: I prefer for her to sing.) 

7. The complement is a gerund. Pattern 7 is characterized by equi-deletion.
(Example: I prefer singing.) 

8. The complement is a gerund. Pattern 8 entails raising to object. 
(Example: I prefer him singing, not chanting.) 

9. The complement is a gerund. Pattern 9 entails raising to genitive (specifically, a possessive determiner). 
(Example: I prefer his singing.)


DIALECT VARIATIONS item 1. Subjunctive with that:
in AmE in mandative clauses:
They suggested that he apply for the job.
In BrE, 
       They suggested that he should apply for the job 
       They suggested that he applied for the job). 

Same SAMPLES:
allow
5. I allowed her to sing endlessly.
6. ?I allowed for her to sing endlessly.
7. I allow singing in my tavern.
9. I allowed his singing to go on and on.
Be  awful
2. It’s awful that she sings for her supper.
3. It’s awful to sing in front of such an audience.
6. It’s awful for her to sing in front of those people.
know
2. I know that she sings on Sundays.
5. I know her to sing on Sundays.
6. I have known for her to sing on Sundays.
7. I know singing.
9. I know his singing.
like
3. I like to sing. 5. I like him to sing.
6. I like for him to sing.
7. I like singing.
8. I used to like him singing all day long.
9. I used to like his singing all day long.
make (obligate)
I made her sing.
order
1. I order that she sing.
5. I ordered her to sing.
6. I ordered for her to sing.
7. I ordered singing, not violin playing.
suggest
1. I suggested that she sing. 
6. I suggest for her to sing. 
7. I suggest singing. 
9. I suggest her singing.

wish
3. I wish to sing right now. 
5. I wish him to sing right now. 
6. I wished for him to sing immediately.

No comments: