Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 11, 2020

Giving opinions on Education



NUMBER OF YOUNGSTERS AT UNIVERSITY
SPEAKING ENGLISH challenge  2028

 





task -Read and debate on its content 

Univ. competence in English ... 2024?

A    Apparentlythe government wants to
increase the number of English Speakers before 
going to university. What do you think
about that?

 


B    PersonallyI consider it  a good idea. All university entrance exam for one subject should have to be done in English! If it were up to me, better in 2022!

 A    Maybe, but it seems to me we need more people with Spoken English skills, not more only academic English anymore. And why haven't we got those people? It's the government's fault.

 
B   You think the government is to blame for everythingBut don't you reckon
it's good idea, in principle, for more
oral English for everybody as in Denmark 
to have a better education?

A   Yes, University education with English is an incredibly
important issuebut the point iswhat
do we have to change to get finally the current generation speaking English? Any ideas?

 

B    To start with the obvious,...  

A   I'd rather suspect that...,

 


Text adapted  from Oxford Word Skills -2011 (unit 63)


Revisiting   three  language functions:


Stating  Preferences:

As far as I'm concerned...,      Without a doubt, I'd prefer...,

The way I honestly see it...,     If it were up to me..., 

I'd rather suspect that...,         I'm pretty much sure that..., 

It is fairly certain that...,    I'm utterly convinced that..., 

 

Disagreeing:
  • Don't you think it would be a bit better..., 
  • I wouldn't disagree more,
  • I'd pretty much prefer..., 
  • Shouldn't we also consider...,
  • I'm afraid I don't agree..., 
  • Frankly, I much doubt if..., 
  • Let's face it, the truth of the matter is...,
  •  The issue with your point of view is that...

Giving Reasons and offering explanations: 

  To start with the obvious,...     We might frame it with....

                        That's the plain reason why..., Many other folks would pose ..., 

                    Considering..., Allowing for the fact that..., 

                   When you may well consider that....    That's mainly why..., 




My three favourite pics














CODA;   orientate---> go E


No comments: