Search This Blog

Monday, September 19, 2011

Betty White at 88 and 1/2 hosts Saturday Night Live


With a career spanning over 60 years, you would think that there isn't much the legendary Betty White hasn't accomplished. She has been on iconic television shows like The Mary Tyler Moore Show and The Golden Girls, both of which earned her Emmy awards. She has also co-starred in numerous movies.

At the age of 88, Betty White is in higher demand in Hollywood than most other actresses. Well, tonight marks a first in Betty's great career. Tonight she is hosting Saturday Night Live. She told us that when she was first offered the chance to host the show, she turned it down.
Betty White found herself at the center of a rip-roaring round of applause during her first appearance on screen during the cold open on 'Saturday Night Live,' marking the successful viral campaign launched by Facebook fans that ultimately led to White getting the hosting gig.
It deserved rave reviews (New York Times) and also opposite reception (EW.com): 
"was one of the strongest outings of the season. With energy, enthusiasm and plain old laughs"
 "funny, vulgar and totally charming." The perfect trio for 'SNL,' no? 
Watch the monologue video below, 
Incomplete transcript:
"I made my live TV debut in 1952 because they didn't know how to............. things ... I don't know what this show's excuse is." 
"I really have to thank Facebook ... I didn't know what Facebook was, and now that I do know what it is, it sounds like a .............  .............. of time. I would never think that people on it are ................, but that's only because I'm .................," 
"At my age, if i want to connect with old friends, I need a Ouija board. Facebook just ................  ................  a ........... In my day, seeing pictures of people's vacations was considered a punishment."
"I am here tonight because you wanted me to be. I feel so loved, thank you."


To see Betty White's chunks (lexical groupings) Professor Luix Barros analysed her words:
(from 4:05 to 6:12) 

Betty White thanked many, but also Facebook for her appearance. However, she wasn’t totally kind in her remarks about Facebook. She said:
I would never say that people on it are losers, but that’s only because I’m polite. People say, ‘But Betty, Facebook is a great way to connect with old friends.’ Well, at my age, if I want to connect with old friends, I need a Ouija board.
“Needless to say, we didn’t have Facebook when I was growing up. We had a phone book, but but you wouldn’t waste an afternoon on it.
“Facebook just sounds like a drag. In my day, seeing pictures of people’s vacations was considered a punishment.”
“I really have to thank Facebook. When I first heard about the campaign to get me to host Saturday Night Live, I didn’t know what Facebook was. And now that I do know what it is, I have to say it sounds like a huge waste of time.

No comments: