Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

double possessives

Double possessives occur quite naturally in family relationships. I'm thinking of something like.............. my wife's mother's face

I want to talk about the daughter of my mother's best friend. Can I say the following? "I met my mother's best friend's daughter at the park last night."


You can also re-organize the sentence to get rid of one of the possessives:

"I met the daughter of my mother's best friend at the park last night."




Double Possessives

Do we say "a friend of my uncle" or "a friend of my uncle's"? In spite of the fact that "a friend of my uncle's" seems to overwork the notion of possessiveness, that is usually what we say and write. The double possessive construction is sometimes called the "post-genitive" or "of followed by a possessive case or an absolute possessive pronoun" (from the Oxford English Dictionary, which likes to show off). The double possessive has been around since the fifteenth century, and is widely accepted. It's extremely helpful, for instance, in distinguishing between "a picture of my father" (in which we see the old man) and "a picture of my father's" (which he owns). Native speakers will note how much more natural it is to say "He's a fan of hers" than "he's a fan of her."

Generally, what follows the "of" in a double possessive will be definite and human, not otherwise, so we would say "a friend of my uncle's" but not "a friend of the museum's [museum, instead]." What precedes the "of" is usually indefinite (a friend, not the best friend), unless it's preceded by the demonstratives this or that, as in "this friend of my father's."


http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/double-possessive.aspx





QUICK AND DIRTY TIPS
http://publicspeaker.quickanddirtytips.com/How-To-Engage-Your-Audience.aspx

How to Engage Your Audience

No comments: