Aldous Leonard Huxley, (1894, Surrey, England—1963, Los Angeles, U.S.), English novelist and critic gifted with an acute and far-ranging intelligence. His works are notable for their wit and pessimistic satire.
His best known novel, Brave New World (1932), set a model for much dystopian science fiction that followed. It is a fundamentally satiric novel, but it also vividly expresses Huxley’s distrust of 20th-century trends in both politics and technology. The novel presents a nightmarish vision of a future society, set in XXV century and scientifically determined that, in turn, obliterates the individual and grants all control to the World State.
Ensuing a dialogue from the novel. In the World State of the year 632 After Ford, would not You and me and & Co. be model citizens?
- “Isn't there something in living dangerously?'
- There's a great deal in it,' the Controller replied. 'Men and women must have their adrenals stimulated from time to time.
- What?' questioned the Savage, uncomprehending.
- It's one of the conditions of perfect health. That's why we've made the V.P.S. treatments compulsory.'
- Violent Passion Surrogate. Regularly once a month. We flood the whole system with adrenin. It's the complete physiological equivalent of fear and rage. All the tonic effects of murdering Desdemona and being murdered by Othello, without any of the inconvenience.'
- But I like the inconveniences.'
- We don't,' said the Controller. 'We prefer to do things comfortably.'
2) United States Oath of Allegiance -wikipedia
- 1790- "to support the constitution of the United States"
- 1906 - added the section of the oath requiring new citizens to defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic
- 1950- added the text about bearing arms and performing noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States.
Huxley was denied citizenship since he refused to ascribe his pacifism to religious beliefs.
His application was continuously deferred on the grounds that he would not say he would take up arms to defend the US. He claimed a philosophical, rather than a religious objection, and therefore was not exempt under the McCarran Act.
Huxley’s U.S. naturalization interview makes curious reading. The McCarran Act of 1952 had denied citizenship to any person who refused to bear arms for other than religious reasons. Aldous was a pacifist, and said so at the interview.
- Are you a religious man? asked the interviewing judge.
- “ I am indeed a religious man", Aldous said "my opposition to war, however, is an entirely philosophical one.”
Then withdrew his and Maria's applications when it appeared that those applications would be denied.